Thursday, November 12, 2009

Primary One Registration - Golden Dragon Batch (2006)

- this blog was done way back in 2006  -

My son was born in the year of the Golden Dragon. I found out that there was going to be a big batch of enrolees as most chinese chose to have their children in this year. This means more competition in choosing the right school for him. This added to the fact that even in the usual registration, it is already such a big deal (grueling?) esp for parents who want better schools for their children. I heard that some parents even have to do volunteer work to their choice of school so that they will have priority in registering their kids there!

This put the pressure on me to find a good school for Kelvin. I prepared for it (the best that I could). The Ministry of Education (MOE) gave away leaflets/brochures to K2 students. The leaflets were like Primary One registration primers. All the information for P1 Registration is there - step by step process, phase by phase.  I also checked MOE website for more info like requirements for registration, etc.

After reading and understanding the process, my search for school started. There are a number of primary schools near our place, around 3 within 1km. I took Kelvin to Sengkang Primary School first as it was one which had a good feedback and is a few minutes walk from our place. It is a government school and a co-ed.We were met by the admin officer and were brought on a tour around the school. I also asked about the dreaded Mother Tongue and options for exemptions. After the visit, I was satisfied with the visit.There were positives and negatives. But we still have one more school of choice so decision is not until we visit Montfort Junior. It is an all-boys-catholic school located in Hougang. It was recommended by Kelvin's preschool teacher. Her nephews were studying there. Kelvin and I visited the school. We were toured around the school and were briefed on what the school has to offer for the boys. I was more comfortable with this school. First, it catered more to boys needs and they know how to discipline boy students. Second, it has good campus and facilities (catering to boys again). Third, t got a good response from the president of the parent committee, Amos Choy. The "kiasu" parent that i am, i checked the school's website and found that they have a parents committee. Who best to answer my questions than a fellow parent?? I was glad that he was such an accommodating parent (i called him while he was on the train i think). And take note i called him more than once! I asked him for his feedback on his kids - if they enjoy going to school there, if they like the programs in the school, how discipine was in the school, etc etc. To make the story short, I was glad I called him. This reinforced our decision to put Kelvin in this school. After discussing with hubby, we concluded that this was the school for him. We are Catholics and we want a school which can impose good behavior among students.

The easy part is now over. Now for the more grueling, nervous-wrecking process of registration. And most importantly, waiting for the results of registration. I checked the requirements and prepared all the documents needed for the registration. Kelvin is eligible for Phase2B - For a child whose parent has joined the school as a parent volunteer not later than 1 July 2008 and has given at least 40 hours of voluntary service to the school by 30 June 2009; or whose parent is a member endorsed by the church/clan directly connected with the school; or whose parent is endorsed as an active community leader.

So everything was set. I have submitted the registration form and Kelvin's documents. After that was to wait for the confirmation letter from the school. I received a call from the school admin officer (we were in Bangkok at the time) and was thankful that Kelvin got accepted.

Next in the agenda, orientation day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments, as your questions, share parenting tips and tricks, a book title or two.

 

milestone moments | Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL